Certificate in Translation: Spanish to English / English to Spanish
Spanish & Portuguese Program
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Description: The Certificate in Translation provides students with training and skills in the theory and practice of translation from Spanish to English and English to Spanish. Recipients of this certificate will have demonstrated their knowledge and capabilities in the translation of cultural, commercial, financial, legal, literary, medical, political, scientific, and technical texts.
Purpose: This certificate offers students career prospects at translation agencies, in government or non-profit positions, or as independent contractors (freelancers).
Coursework: The certificate consists of 15 units of required coursework, organized as follows:
· SPAN 301 – Advanced Grammar and Composition
· SPAN 468 – Spanish/English Bilingualism and Language Contact
· SPAN 470 – Foundations of Translation
· SPAN 471 – Practice in Translation – I
· SPAN 472 – Practice in Translation – II
- For undergraduate students at CSUF: Students who are in good academic standing at CSUF and possess native or advanced proficiency in both Spanish and English may declare the Certificate in Translation: Spanish to English / English to Spanish by collecting the appropriate form in the Office of Admissions and Records and meeting with the Spanish & Portuguese Coordinator prior to filling out the aforementioned form.
- For graduate students at CSUF or students already holding a bachelor’s degree from another university: You may apply for admission to the Certificate in Translation: Spanish to English / English to Spanish on the Cal State Apply website: https://www.calstate.edu/apply
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Reyes Fidalgo Dr. Andre' Zampaulo
Spanish Program Coordinator Translation Certificate Advisor