The Division offers courses providing intern opportunities in several areas including our Cal State DC Scholars Internships in Washington DC and our newly established Orange County internships with the OC Fellows program.
- POSC 498 – Political Externship/Political Internship | Dr. Meriem Doucette (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- POSC 497/498 - Washington DC Internship Program | Owen Holmes (email@example.com)
- CRJU/POSC 492 – Prelaw Externship/Prelaw Internship | Dr. Robert Castro (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- POSC 497 – Administrative Internship | Dr. Shelly Arsneault (email@example.com)
- CRJU 495 – Internship in Criminal Justice | Dr. Chris Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org)
An internship gives students practical experience connected to their education and it helps answer the question "what does this education have to do with the 'real'?" Besides allowing you to integrate your classroom learning with the outside job experience, an internship:
- Provides some work experience to list on a resume
- Lets you develop new work skills
- Lets you try out a career in a non-threatening atmosphere to see if you like it
- Allows you to begin "networking" in your future career area
- May lead to a permanent job
Most students find internships to be a rewarding experience and many consider this to be the highlight of their undergraduate education. Don't pass up this unique opportunity.Internships may be paid or unpaid. Unpaid internships require at least 120 hours of work for the semester, usually arranged at 8-12 hours per week.
Students should see the faculty member regarding their area of internship interest in the semester prior to when you would like to enroll in the internship program. Planning ahead insures that you will be have adequate time to complete the application process for internship placements. Given the sensitive nature of many placements, some internships may require a background investigation, which can include a criminal background check.
International students may be eligible for an internship but must get a CPT authorization from International Student Services in UH 244. Be advised that this will take up to 3 weeks to process.