HOW TO APPLY
Submit your Application via CAL STATE APPLY
Applicants to the MA in Political Science program are required to submit the University application through Cal State Apply (this includes a statement of purpose).
The program also requires the following documents be submitted through Cal State Apply:
- Writing sample (a 5-10 page paper from a political science or related socal science course)
- Two to three academic letters of recommendation (these should be from professors who can speak to your ability to succeed in a masters program)
CSUF Admissions must also receive official transcripts from every institution of higher learning you have attended (see below).
- Note that when applying you must specify the campus and program.
- Applicants are advised to log in to their "portal" regularly to keep up-to-date on the application, including any documentation required.
- CSUF Admissions must receive official transcripts from every institution of higher education you have attended (including all community colleges). If possible, include your name and CSUF student ID (CWID) written clearly on the outside envelope.
Once applications are received by the program, they are considered on a rolling basis. The application process is closed once we admit enough students to make up a full cohort. Applicants are strongly urged to submit their applications as early as possible for full consideration.
Applications for the
semester will open on August 1, 2018 and close on December 3, 2018.
Applications for the Fall 2019 semester will open on October 1, 2018 and close on May 31, 2019.
UPCOMING MAPS INFORMATION SESSION
Feb 9, 2019
11:00 - 12:30
University Hall 208
Stay tuned for details on the Fall 2019 Information Session for prospective MAPS students.
Official transcripts should be sent toCalifornia State University, Fullerton Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 6900 Fullerton, CA 92834-6900
University requirements are a baccalaureate from an accredited institution and a grade-point average of at least 2.5 in the last 60 semester units attempted.
In addition to the university requirements, acceptance into the M.A. in Political Science (MAPS) program requires a grade-point average of 3.0 in the major field and in all political science courses. If the major is not in social science, the GPA requirement also applies to upper-division social science courses taken. If a student's GPA does not meet these criteria, the student may appeal to the program for a waiver, but an applicant's GPA is taken very seriously.
Normally, admission to the MAPS requires that a student possess a bachelor's degree in political science, a minor in political science, or a major in a related social science field with a minimum of 15 units of political science courses. For those without such a background, the program may require the applicant to take a group of prerequisite political science courses at the 300 and/or 400 level prior to beginning graduate coursework.
Applications are evaluated competitively. The GRE is not required, but applicants are advised to submit GRE scores if their GPA is not competitive (below a 3.3 cumulative GPA).
International applicants should please check with International Admissions for additional admissions requirements.