Jarret Lovell, Ph.D.
Professor of Criminal Justice
Phone: (657) 278 - 2290
Office: GH 539
Office Hours: TU/TH 10:30-11:20 AM & 2:30-3:30 PM & W 2:00-3:00 PM
Or by appointment
- 2001, Ph.D Criminal Justice, Rutgers - State University of New Jersey
- 1997, MA Criminal Justice, Rutgers - State University of New Jersey
- 1994, BA Cognitive Psychology (with honors), University of California, Irvine
- Civil Disobedience and Political Dissent
- Animal Rights/ Animals as victims
- Criminological Theory
- Influence of Media on Police Behavior
- Crime and Popular Culture
Courses Regularly Taught
- CRJU 315 Policing
- CRJU 330 Theories of Crime & Delinquency
- CRJU 474 Animals, Law & Society
- CRJU 435 Civil Disobedience & Social Justice
- CRJU 406 Crime & Popular Culture
- CRJU 445 White-Collar Crime
- Critical Thinking (Honors Program)
- 2009 - Jarret S. Lovell, Crimes of Dissent: Civil Disobedience, Criminal Justice & the Politics of Conscience. New York: New York University Press.
- 2003 - Jarret S. Lovell, Good Cop/Bad Cop: Mass Media & the Cycle of Police Reform. Boulder, CO: Lynn Reinner.
- (forthcoming) - Jarret S. Lovell ‘We are Jamaicans:’ Living with and challenging the criminalization of homosexuality in Jamaica. Contemporary Justice Review.
- (forthcoming) - Jarret S. Lovell Behind a veil of secrecy: Animal abuse, factory farms, and Ag-Gag legislation. Contemporary Justice Review.
2013 - Jarret S. Lovell "Public Information in the Age of YouTube: Citizen Journalism and the Expanding Scope of Police Accountability." In Brian D. Fitch (ed.) Law Enforcement Ethics: Classic and Contemporary Challenges for the New Millennium. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- 2012 Jarret S. Lovell "On Mice, Butterflies, and Tigers: Mark Twain's 'Ten Commandments' and Circumstance-Based Justice" Contemporary Justice Review,Vol. 15:2:173-176.
- 2006 Jarret S. Lovell "This is not a Comic Book: Jarret Lovell interviews graphic artist Peter Kuper." Crime, Media, Culture, Vol. 2:1: 75-83.
- 2002 Jarret S. Lovell "Nostalgia, Comic Books, and the "War Against Crime!" An Inquiry into the Resurgence of Popular Justice." Journal of Popular Culture. Vol. 36.2: 335-351.
- 2001 Jarret S. Lovell "Crime and Popular Culture in the Classroom: Approaches and Resources For Interrogating the Obvious." Journal of Criminal Justice Education. Vol. 12:1:229-244.