Master of Science in Gerontology:
University / Cal State Apply Application* - Deadline is July 1st for Fall and December 1st for Spring.
*For international students, the deadline for Cal State Apply is April 15 for Fall and October 1st for Spring.
MSG / Departmental Application - Deadline to email materials to the department is July 1st for Fall and December 1st for Spring
Deadlines are firm; applications will not be accepted after due date.
Our applicants come from a wide variety of majors and have diverse professional experiences. All applicants to the MSG program must satisfy the university’s requirements for admission into graduate degree programs.
University Requirements for Admission:
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution,
- Submission of the formal application form through Cal State Apply
- Submission of academic transcripts within one month of Cal State Apply application submission.
MSG Requirements for Admission:
In addition to the university application, a gerontology department application must also be filed with the Aging Studies Academic Program.
- Bachelor’s degree in gerontology or in a related field with an undergraduate minor, certificate or emphasis in gerontology, or the equivalent. In the absence of these, the applicant must have 12 units of upper-division coursework in gerontology, or their equivalent, and have completed a statistics course.
- Grade-point average of at least 3.0 in gerontology-related coursework
- Application for the Master of Science in Gerontology Program
- Admission Application through the Cal State Apply Website
- Written Critical Thinking Assessment
- Personal Statement (Letter from the student stating professional objectives)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation**
- Three (3) letters of recommendation forms***
- Copies of unofficial transcripts from all higher education institutions attended sent directly to our office
The following factors will be taken into consideration:
- Previous paid or volunteer experience in working with older adults
- Research experience
Applicants who have minimal deficiencies in these requirements, but who are otherwise highly qualified, may be admitted with Conditionally Classified standing, with provisions made to remove deficiencies prior to the granting of Classified Standing.
**Academic Letters of Recommendation are preferred, but letters indicating experience in the field of Gerontology are also accepted. Letters may be submitted by email to AgingStudies@fullerton.edu, but they must come from the professional email address of the writer.
***In addition to the Letters of Recommendation, we also require a letter of recommendation form. This form is to be filled out by the recommendor and included with the Letter of Recommendation.